The Chicago Journal

Ripper Skipper 2022 NFT, the AFL NFT collection, sells out in hours

The Australian Football League or AFL recently released an NFT collection called the Ripper Skipper 2022 NFT which sold out as soon as it went online.

Earlier this year, the AFL announced a five-year partnership with Animoca and Be Media, suggesting that NFTs would be released in the future.

Skipper Ripper NFT

AFL NFTs are based on the captains of the teams in the league.

There are a total of 78 “great moments” for future owners to collect, each with different highlights with the AFL team skippers in the 2021 season.

NFTs are more than just portraits of captains; they also include a video clip and audio of the captain in action.

Each NFT package offers potential owners a 90% chance to get community cards, 8% for Deluxe cards, and 2% for Ovation cards.

The packages are retailed at $ 34.39 USDC and the project is estimated to have raised over $ 130,000 USDC.

The launch

The 2022 NFT Ripper Skipper launched Wednesday as part of the AFL Mint program.

The program allows people who are members of the “white list” to purchase one of the 3,800 drop-only packages.

Once NFTs became active, they were sold out in less than 12 hours. the packages

Ripper Skipper NFT packs also have a 10% chance of granting a special Genesis Ball NFT with extra utility between the three cards.

With the utility, AFL Mint plans to evolve through the addition of certain NFTs in the hopes of engaging experiences for AFL fans.

The plans include game day events, unique content, and metaverse hangouts with the players.


Kylie Rogers, Executive General Manager Customer and Commercial at AFL, is excited about the possibilities with the NFTs. He said:

“Through our AFL Mint brand, we will launch exciting new moments across our men’s and women’s competitions, plus celebrate past greats and other product releases that will bring a unique fan experience we haven’t seen before.”

Jordan Fogarty, the CEO of Be Media, and Yat Siu, the executive chairman of Animoca, echoed the views on the NFT decline, with both bringing up the word “excited” multiple times.

Other Notes

The launch of the Ripper Skipper 2022 NFTs shows that the AFL is following in the footsteps of other international sports codes who have delved into Web3. NBA Top Shot received critical acclaim in 2020, and earlier this year the UFC presented UFC Strike.

Ripper Skipper 2022 is not alone as other Australian sports codes have done the same.

Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) both signed multi-year licensing agreements with Singapore-based collectors platform Rario and trading company NFT BlockTrust in April.

The Queensland Rugby League has also deposited 10,000 NFTs called The Ultimate Queenslander NFTs on the Flow blockchain.


AFL’s first limited-edition NFT drop sells out in under 12 hours

Ripper Skipper: the AFL launches its first set of limited-edition NFTs